The search for ancient Queensland is a journey through deep time, revealing its unique landscapes, a fascinating geology and, most importantly, its incomparable fossils.
This beautifully illustrated book charts the complex evolution of life over the past 250 million years, set against a backdrop of momentous geological events and dramatic environmental change. It offers tantalising, but incomplete, glimpses of the primeval environments that have shaped modern Queensland and, in doing so, signposts understanding of our largely unknown future.
In Search of Ancient Queensland celebrates the remarkable geological and natural heritage of the State and showcases the outstanding fossil collections and research of the Queensland Museum. Available in paperback and hardcover/ 280 pages.
- Understanding the past: Geological time. Tectonics & Continental Drift. Rocks. Fossils.
- Beginnings: Geological Foundations. The Great Dying.
- The Triassic Period: Life after the Extinction Event. Triassic Flora. The Great Artesian Basin.
- The Jurassic Period: Jurassic Fauna - A Scant Record. Jurassic Flora.
- The Cretaceous Period: Many Inland Seas. Marine Reptiles. Ammonites & their Relatives. Early Cretaceous Fishes. Belemnites, Squid & Nautiloids. The Toolebuc Formation. The Winton Formation. The Dinosaurs. End of the Cretaceous.
- The Cenozoic Period: Volcanism. Modern Landscapes. Cenozoic Flora & Fauna. Redbank Plains - early evidence. Boat Mountain. Riversleigh. Capella - a rainforest time capsule. Amber - fossilised tree tears. Megafauna. Mount Etna Menagerie. The Darling Downs. Rats & Mice. Migrations & Dispersals. South Walker Creek. The extinction of the megafauna.
- Bringing ancient Queensland to life
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.