An affordable meter for measuring sky brightness for astronomers!
The sky quality-meter measures the brightness of the night sky in magnitudes per square arcsecond.
Unprecedented sensitivity in a handheld meter!
- Find out how good the night or site REALLY is.
- Compare the sky brightness at different sites quantitatively.
- Document the evolution of light pollution in your area.
- Set planetarium dome illumination to mimic the skies people are likely to experience elsewhere in the city.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
- Determine which nights show the greatest promise for finding the 'faintest fuzzies'!
- Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the Bortle Scale.
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
CCD users can make a correlation between the SQM reading and when the background reaches some ADC level.
- Audible signal while measurement is in progress.
- Sky brightness displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
- Infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to visual bandpass.
- Temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as model number and serial number can be displayed with different button press sequence.
- Precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Power-saving features designed in for maximum battery life.
- Reverse battery protection.
- The half width half maximum (HWHM) of the angular sensitivity is ~42°.
- Operates from 9V battery (included).
- Size 9.6 x 6.0 x 2.54cm.
- Maximum light sampling time: 80 seconds.
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.